‘PROTECTING YOUR PET OVER THE HOLIDAYS’
As the holidays approach, remember that this can be a dangerous time of the year for our pets. The winter holidays are the number one time of the year that pets are usually lost. So take some extra holiday recautions;
Holiday Foods- Candy, chocolate, bones, turkey and fixings, pork, and fish should be kept away and out of reach from your pets. Never give your pet chocolate. It is highly toxic to animals, causing stomach aches, constipation or diarrhea. Keeping your pet on its regular diet is the best option.
Holiday Deorations- Electric cords, tinsel, glass ornaments, candles, ribbons, plastic or wrapping are all dangerous to your pet. Hide or cover up electric cords to prevent cats from chewing on them or wrapping around it.
Cold Weather- It’s the time of year to prepare for colder weather, and the changes it brings with. Pets are naturely prepared for winter, still with some precautions that are necessary. Letting your pet run freely during this time of year can be dangerous for your pet. It becomes a lot easier for the pet to become lost and they can easily freeze to death. Therefore, it is crucial to the following precautions.;
- Always clean snow and ice from your pet to prevent frostbite.
- Observe your pets behavior frequently.
- Feed smaller portions and feed more often as well as making sure fresh water is always available.
- Allow indoor pets outside long enough to go to the bathroom and that’s it.
- Supervsion is alwso important when letting your pet outside.